Thursday, August 20, 2009

On the eleventh day of 3rd grade my teacher said to me...

What is true beauty?
Identify the sentence subject!
Let's make Egyptian costumes!
Where is Ivan?
Memorize your verse!
Study your spelling!
Did you read?
Don't stick your finger in the socket!
What is a digit?
Be respectful and act responsibly!

I forgot to mention that during prayer time yesterday, one of the kids shared a prayer request that about her friend's cousin or cousin's friend (I forget which) had dengue. Some of them didn't know what dengue was so I told them it was really serious and that I had it when I was 13 and that you can die from it. The Duke of Earl-y To Finish, in all his brightness, said "And did you?" I gave him an "Are you for real?" look and laughed at him and the kids all laughed and then I realized he was serious. He suddenly realized it was a dumb question and he got all embarrassed. Hahaha. Speaking of laughing at kids, today Princess Talks-A-Lot, who reads everything with a dramatic flair, read a Bible verse very dramatically and I smirked/snickered and glanced back at Janine who was hiding behind her paper snickering too and some of the kids in the front caught us laughing. Woops.

Today we managed to finish our Egyptian costumes (for the most part). I did a little lecture on true beauty too. I asked "What is beauty?" Prince Ants-in-the-Pants said, "Beauty is when you're really beautiful." Wow. Profound words from such a young lad. Anyway, we talked about heart beauty and being right with God. After we looked at some verses about the heart and being right with God, I asked if it was wrong to look nice and take care of ourselves. Princess Talks-A-Lot said, "No because if you're scraggly on the outside, you might be scraggly on the inside too and not beautiful to God." Scraggly? Hahaha. Yeah, so we talked about that and then went on to talking about who made us and why we should take care of our bodies (because God made us and it is glorifying to Him).

And now I'm trying to figure out the Language Arts curriculum. I realized we really aren't trained much in how to use the types of language arts programs that many schools use now. There's so much to fit in! We're also not really trained on guided reading groups -- how to plan lessons for so many different groups and run everything smoothly and tie it all together. Sigh..

1 comment:

  1. That's what this experience is all about. 'On-the-job-training.'

    I don't know ... I think if I was your teacher, I would blog about you as Princess Laughs-A-Lot.

    ReplyDelete