Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Those who try to get away with using another language...

...don't realize that there are online translators.

Today, dearest Ivan the Terrible was working on his vocabulary sheet in their leveled reading groups. Let it be known that he cannot get along with the Duchess Whines Too Much and the Duke of Earl-y To Finish. Anyway, he had a question on his vocabulary sheet and handed me his paper. My eyes traveled down to the bottom where I saw two sentences:
"The Duke of Earl-y to Finish ist dum!" (except he used the duke's real name)
"The duke ist gans gut und ich mak ien."

I used Babel Fish to translate it and I couldn't figure out what the last two words were, but the second sentence said something about being a silly goose and I "mak ien." We had gone through a whole chart on what good group work looks like and sounds like and one of those had to do with kind words. I pointed to "ist dum" and asked him if those were kind words. His excuse? "Well 'ist' isn't really the same as 'is.' It means kinda dumb but not really." Of course, the easily amused one had to slap her hand across her mouth and she snickered. I mean really... I don't even speak German, but how dumb does he think I am? I need to stop laughing. I recovered quickly and told him that wasn't nice and the second paper he turned in said "The duke is cool!"

Yesterday was a bad day for dots on the sticky notes. The fair Princess Talks-A-Lot, who should be re-named the Princess Dream Student, got a prize for the 3rd day in a row. She tied with one of the other boys today, though. Yesterday people got 3 dots at most. Today the two winners had 8, four had 7, and two had 5. The ones with 5 were the Duchess Whines-Too-Much and Ivan the Terrible. The Duke really improved in his ability to work in a group which gave him mega points during social studies. He worked with Prince Ants in the Pants and was very helpful, patiently waiting for him, highlighting the words on the computer that he needed. I was sooo proud of him and praised him several times. I even told him at the end of the day that even though he didn't get a prize, he was close and had earned 3 just for being such a good helper in social studies. He beamed and said, "Oh thank you!!!"

I taught math today and got observed. At the beginning of the morning, I told my class that a visitor would sit in on one of their classes. The Duchess Whines Too Much very obnoxiously said, "Why????" I said, "So she can see if you're well behaved." She got a glint in her eyes and said, "I know! It's to see how YOU teach." I said, "Yes, and to watch how you guys behave." She folded her arms and said, "How come WE have to be involved?" Wow... strike 100. Then in social studies, the kids were doing a webquest and were on a challenge section asking them to figure out how many double decker buses could be stacked together to find the height of the Great Pyramid. I didn't have a chance to play with it much before class, so I said I hadn't figured it out. The Duchess said, "So if we figure it out, we're smarter than you!" One of them did figure it out and she said, "Miss Hofmaier, he's smarter than you!!!" Wow. Obnoxious points.

I can't believe tomorrow is my last day teaching. I'm finally getting into the swing of things and I'm learning more about classroom management. However, I'm looking forward to my next placement as well.

The kids hugged or gave me a high five as they left. I found my feet a couple inches off the ground when the dear Prince Ants in the Pants left. Ivan gave me a very nice hug though. Cutie.

No comments:

Post a Comment