Thursday, September 10, 2009

The pros and cons of Spirit Week

Some of the teachers, particularly the 1st and 2nd grade teachers, get really into Spirit Week. They've had quite the outfits lately. The 1st grade teacher dressed up as Raggedy Ann. It's fun seeing some of the outfits that kids come up with but the problem is that the kids are all wired and classroom control is a bit of a nightmare!

I have been teaching every subject all week and it's been really good. I've been learning much more about classroom management because Janine isn't in the room much. I've had issues with kids just going crazy and we're having a hard time getting things done. However, it's been pushing me to be more firm about things.

Ivan the Terrible has been having a lot of difficulties lately. He is a really emotionally needy child and my heart breaks for him. He doesn't seem to have all that much parental involvement at home and this morning he had a run-in with his older sister. I don't know what the conversation was about since it was in German but both of them didn't seem too happy with each other. Ivan tends to act out for attention. He's seems older than he really is because he hides his feelings a lot. I think he could be a really neat kid if he had more love and attention. Sometimes he says something funny and I laugh, sharing in with his little joke. He gets a surprised look on his face and then his eyes widen and he breaks out into a huge grin and laughs too. It's really cute. I really do like him, even though he's very trying. I wish there was more I can do for him, but right now it's just love, firmness, and prayer. A couple times he has wrapped his arms around me and given me a big hug at the end of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Spirit week and excited kids ... tough week to be goin' it alone for the first time! Janine gets a week off? ... or does she have to swap with Janet so Janet can observe you?

    Feeling the kids emptiness makes you want to take them all home with you at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete